Wednesday, June 28, 2017






You have saved us from our enemies, O God
     from the hands of all who hate us.

This is the antiphon for the Benedictus today--the canticle (ancient song) that we say each day during Matins, our early morning prayers.

Today, in light of the battle over health care that rages in the country these days, it reads differently.  Do those who "have" actually hate the "have nots?"  I thought so when I prayed this song this morning.  But I am not so sure, now.  Hatred has more energy directed toward its object, pays more attention to it.

No, those who would deny others essentials for their lives do not actually actively hate those who need a bigger share of the wealth that creation has to offer.  They simply turn their back on them.


https://www.facebook.com/CompanionsMA/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Health care costs are not breaking the bank of the United States.  Greed--for money, for status, for power--these are what are bringing down our economy.

At this point I expect a few of you to be asking why I am getting so political here.  This is way beyond political, way beyond human policies.  This is saying that God mourns what we are doing to each other.  God is always deeply grieved and sometimes outright outraged at what we human beings find it acceptable to do and to allow.

Read the prophets of the Hebrew Scriptures.  Read the Quran.

Read the Gospels.

No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.      Matthew 6:24
                                                                                                                             
Jesus, God Incarnate, says that piling up money and ignoring the needs of those who have less--the poor and increasingly, of late, the middle class--piling up money in this way despises God.

You will hate the one and love the other...

What if the Benedictus was to read this way:

You have saved us from our enemies, O God
     from the hands of all who hate YOU.

Different picture altogether, isn't it.

Of course it would not be complete to name this about Them without looking in the mirror.  When do I forget that what I have belongs to God?  When do I turn my back on those who need what has been lent to me?  Too often.  Mine is more subtle than trying to turn over the already inadequate Affordable Health Care Act.  Or is it?  When I walk past a person who lives on the streets who is asking for money without giving her a glance is that subtle.

We each, every day, have choices to make.

AND I don't want the place that I began to get lost.  Yes, we all fail each other.  Yes, we are all sinners.  But that doesn't mean we do not call each other to account when we see it happening.

Which brings me to my last question:  What about that past tense "You have saved us?"

I think God says I have!   I have given you each other to care for and each other to speak up and do something about it when some of you fail others.

God teach us mercy--loving, active, life-giving mercy for each other.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment